[Tango-L] women as leader

Dyane Auclair auclairdy at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 25 15:44:28 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I have been following this list only recently so forgive me if this subject has been discussed previously.
I have been dancing tango for about 3 years. Unfortunately I have not yet find a regular partner with whom I can really work hard at developing very good following skills, at developing a good connection, and at developing a good sense of musicality. Of course I had the "occasional beautiful tango experience" with some good leaders but there is no continuity. So as a new challenge I have decided to go back to basics and learn to become a LEADER while I am still searching for the right dancing partner.
Why do I feel so much resistence in my community? It seems that I receive lot of discouraging signals from other dancers (both men and women) and from teachers. Is it because most people believe that a good connection can only exist betwen a man and a woman and since tango is nothing without a good connection there is no point in putting any effort into that direction. Or is it simply because tangeros/tangeras love stereotypes? Is it threatening for other leaders? I sincerely believe that I will become a better follower because I will have a better understanding of the problems that the leader encounters. What about you: would you encourage me or discourage me?

Dyane
What are you waiting for? Join Lavalife FREE
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30288&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Join_free_OCT07&_m=EXT