[Tango-L] Foxtrot to Tango, how do I do it?

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Mon Feb 25 11:55:19 EST 2008

I would argue that you are not "learning from the internet", but you are
copying things you see and then asking your partners to be your teachers.
This is a rather precarious position for them to be in, especially since it
is likely your partner doesn't know how to lead, doesn't know that she is
supposed to fix you, and has little experience in teaching.

So we here on the list have joined her now in the precarious position of
trying to fix you, using only your own comments and a throwaway statement
from a follower.  But we are the helpful sort. Let's look at some other
things she may have meant - using my experiences of dancing with people who
learned from videos and teaching people from the ballroom world. Perhaps the
reason she said you are dancing foxtrot was because you are dancing figures
instead of dancing to the music? Perhaps you are worried too much about the
next figure you are doing, instead of the connection and the music? Perhaps
you are not leading, but expecting your partner to know her part? Perhaps
your embrace, connection and posture feels like that from foxtrot, not
tango? (Most likely, I would guess) These are things that cannot easily be
learned from videos.

Lois Donnay
Minnesota