[Tango-L] What's the trick??

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 20:54:37 EST 2008

Hola list,
I gotta put a cent or two in here, in response to
someone who wrote "I lead, she steps and I follow
her."
Yes, I've heard this also, and it sounded really cool
when I'd been dancing for 2-3 years, (I'm a slow
learner). The way I dance now, and the way I feel
about this subject now, is that if a follower does
this, she is anticipating and pulling on me. My lead
is to show my partner the nature, the length, and the
direction of the step. As she gathers all this
information, her job is to interpret it, and do her
very best to step exactly WITH me, not to step ahead
of my step, but to help move our bodies in sync with
one another.
The job is not get from one foot to the other, but to
enjoy the time in between, when you are passing
through, or pausing in, that magic, weightless point
in between steps...don't rush it, there's a lot more
time in there than you think.
Yes, this can get kinda blurry in many cases, and
there are many times, in quick steps, or milongas,
etc, where the last part does not seem to apply, but a
leader should never have to follow his partner. And if
you'll practice this, especially to really slow music,
I'll guarantee you'll become a better dancer, on both
sides of the embrace.
My best to all,
Michael (Houston Tx)