[Tango-L] No dancing before the music

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Thu Feb 21 11:06:54 EST 2008

Sergio wrote:
>>"Feeling" is one of the characteristics of A. Tango, ... Tango music
varies so much from orchestra to orchestra that anybody should be able to
find a couple [of tangos?] that they really understand and can dance with
intense feeling as it is supposed to be.<<

My comments go in a little bit different direction, but I sometimes find
that I am dancing with someone whose interpretation of the music isn't
quite the same as mine or with whom the feeling of the music doesn't fit
the feeling of our relationship.

For example, I love dancing to Caló with Beron.  I find the music to be
deep and romantic, which suggests rather quiet and intimate dancing.
Because I love dancing to Caló with Beron so much, I will sometimes get
out on the floor with someone who either doesn't share my feelings for the
music or won't share them with me.  The dancing invariably turns athletic,
which is fun, but doesn't fit my idea of the music at all.

As another example, I also love dancing to Pugliese instrumentals, which I
mostly consider dark and dramatic.  Sometimes the person I'm dancing with
doesn't share my sense for the pauses and intimacy in the music, and she
keeps moving, again shifting our dancing toward an athletic contest.

I'm not one to force my interpretation of the music onto the woman I'm
dancing with, but it can be a disappointment when her
interpretation/feeling is so much different than mine.

With best regards,
Steve (de Tejas)