[Tango-L] No dancing before the music

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Sat Feb 16 08:01:13 EST 2008

With all due respect, I agree that one must understand the music and to
feel it.  It is what makes the difference between someone dancing, and
someone running through a series of steps and patterns.

What I do not agree with is the attitude that someone must listen to the
music for a year before learning to dance.  To be honest, I hated the
music when I started.  I only wanted to learn because I saw Forever
Tango and I was sick of salsa.  Had I been told I needed to listen to
the music for a year, I never would have learned tango or had the
experiences I have had and continue to have.  I think there are many
people like me.

Now of course I love the music.  I learned to appreciate it and to feel
it.  I think this happens for many people.  People need to be encouraged
to learn new things, not pushed away from them.  Not everyone is
destined to become a good dancer.  There are people who were born
listening to tango and cannot dance a step, or do not dance well at
all.  The most important thing is that you enjoy what you do, and if you
get good at it, then all for the better.