[Tango-L] Breaking the 'paso basico.'

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Thu Feb 14 06:05:00 EST 2008

> The real question is, who knows more about
> teaching and dancing Tango - Argentines or Americans?

Actually, the more significant question is: who knows more about selling it.

As any Chilean will tell you ;) the first words every Argentine learns
are "mama", "papa" and "marketing".

> I teach. And I do my very best to do it the way many Argentines have
> taught me.

Do not mistake a means of making money for a means of making dancers.

It's no coincidence that the methods of so many local teachers - Americans
or otherwise - differ widely from those of the touring step peddlars. The
local teacher stays around long enough for the community to find out
whether his/her teaching actually works.

--
Chris

PS Juan D'Arienzo "Loca"
 http://youtube.com/watch?v=bMub8eiOylI (video 2m30s)