[Tango-L] Keith's questions

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Wed Feb 13 11:05:56 EST 2008

I am jumping up and down to answer Keith's questions, hoping to beat
Nancy to it.

First, an example of American Know-how and influence on milongas in Argentina:

Americans brought to Argentina a concept of a milonga that Argentines
call Milonga Gay.  La Marshall on Wednesday nights is such a
milonga.  They play good traditional music.  After each tanda or two,
there is an alternative tanda.  Men can dance with men and women with
women.  Men can also dance with women and women can lead men.  Anyone
can invite anyone, verbally or otherwise.  Basically, anything goes.

This is not an Argentine invention.  Milonga Gay is an American
invention embraced by the Argentines.  La Marshall is super popular
with lots of great dancers and teachers in attendance.  In the US,
practically every milonga is Milonga Gay.  So who knows better how to
create Milonga Gay - Americans or Argentines? :)  I think that the
Argentines are going to steal the whole concept and then claim that
it was their invention.

On another note:
Americans think that they are better at teaching tango because they
become Argentine prior to starting to teach.

NIna