[Tango-L] Pobre flor

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Thu Feb 7 12:38:09 EST 2008

Yesterday was the hottest day we've had this year so far in Buenos Aires.
The heat index reached 102 degrees.  The best place to be was at Lo de
Celia.

What a relief to enter the salon where the air was cool with the added
pleasure of the music of Dany.  It was a day when many sought refuge from
the heat.   After two hours the salon was close to capacity.

Lito and Clara have their regular table at Celia's, just two tables from
mine.  Lito has listened to tango all his life.  I met them seven years ago
in Mi Club on Suipacha where I heard Lito singing at the table.  Yesterday
was no different.  The De Angelis vals tanda with Pobre flor had Lito
singing once again.  I went over to their table to listen to him join the
duo of singers in the recording.  He knows every word.  I asked him the
names of the singers and the title.  He knew them and even said it was
recorded around 1945.  Then he asked, is there anything else you want to
know?  Lito is a walking encyclopedia of tango.  He and Clara have been
together for eight years.  When they dance you know they are listening to
the lyrics and feeling the music.

Pobre flor (Primera ilusion) Vals
Music: Luis Mottolese - Lyric: Victor Spindola
Orquesta Alfredo De Angelis
Singer: Carlos Dante y Julio Martel
Company: Odeon Disc: 3792-AMatrix:15257
Date: 1/July/1946