[Tango-L] dull, dull, dull (Mario)

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 29 01:19:13 EDT 2008

Caroline,

I can certainly sympathise - a year of nothing but classes and practicas
must have been terrible and would be enough to destroy almost anyone's
love of tango. I'm just surprised that your teacher and others in your class
didn't encourage you to attend milongas. Hereabouts, most people start
to attend milongs after completing an 8-week beginner course, and some
even earlier.

But, IMHO, it sounds like you've made 2 serious errors in your learning
of tango.

The first was to attend only classes and practicas but not milongas.
Milongas, especially for ladies and as you've now discovered, are an
absolutely essential and indispensable element in learning tango.

But now you've compounded that mistake by attending milongas only
but not classes or practicas. No doubt in the milongas you're dancing
with men of a higher standard than you would in the classes and I'm
sure this has had a positive effect on your dancing. But, by attending
milongas only, IMO, very soon you'll reach a plateau and your
improvement will slow, stop or even regress.

I've seen it so many times when lady classmates stop attending
classes, When I dance with them in the milongas I can feel no
improvement, whereas their former lady classmates continue to
improve. And, as time goes by, the difference becomes more and
more noticable.

Classes, practice and milongas - all 3 are necessary - and all at the
same time.. But, yes, in the long run, milongas are the most
important element.

Jack