[Tango-L] Dancing Gender in Milongas of Buenos Aires

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 01:42:27 EDT 2008

Dear Adriana,

Thank you for sharing your research paper on tango with us.

I find that you touch on many very interesting topics, gendered
behavior being just one of them. Your observations about tango nuevo,
electronic music, and gay milongas - all of which receive frequent
comment in the tango internet - are seen in a revealing light when
given a theoretical context such as your analysis of the performance
of gender roles. Sometimes I feel that we talk about these subversive
phenomena in tango in a mostly reactive way. Usually the question is
whether subversion of codes should be accepted or not. Your study
looks at some of the cultural pressures to conform in the milonga, and
also looks at the resistance or interventions of these pressures, and
it tries to provide an explanation of what is at work socially in
these dynamics. I like it very much.

You cite Rodolfo Dinzel several times to define the normative
dominance of the man and the submission of the woman. It comes across
as if Dinzel agrees with these gender categories, and in a sense
prescribes that that is how tango should be done. Yet, in his
writings, Dinzel criticizes these gender roles, even though he admits
that many contemporary dancers hold to these views.

When Dinzel describes the tango as a male monologue, he clearly takes
the side that the tango was originally a dialogue, and that it is
ideally a dialogue. The womanly role of passive obedience in tango is,
in my reading of Dinzel, a sort of degradation of the tango. I think
you could better give Dinzel his due by providing more context for his
remarks.

Best wishes for your future dance and writing projects.

Joe Grohens