[Tango-L] Those vulgar "belly bumpers"

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Fri Aug 8 15:14:39 EDT 2008

Trini writes --------> The video [showing Puppy dancing with Geraldine
(Rojas?)] also takes place in a large hall with plenty of room.  In a
more crowded room, Puppy might dance quite differently....

The distance between him Geraldine was only 2 or 3 inches, so perhaps
not. But a good point. I suspect most people nowadays who dance (what my
Argentine teachers called) "salon" do close up to milonguero style when
the floor is full. I do, at any rate.

Speaking of milongueros (in the general sense of long-time tango dancer,
NOT my friends' vulgar street-person!) I noticed in Argentina that many
people danced very simply most of the evening, when the crowd was thick.

Then the last hour or two, 3-5 am, when the floor emptied out, a few of
them began doing very advanced stuff. Not so much showing off, as
pulling out all the stops when they had the space to do so.

At Lo de Celia (I think it was) at one point an immensely fat woman and
a tall skinny man, both quite old, actually cleared the floor the way I
had before only seen in dance movies. And I understood why. For one
tanda I could only sit, my mouth decidely closed lest it hang open, and
watch in awe.

At the end of the tanda no one applauded. A few of the old-timers gave a
sort of reserved nod, as if to say Well Done. Not a few people simply
packed up and left. As did I. Anything following what I had seen would
have felt lame.

Larry de Los Angeles