[Tango-L] Those vulgar "belly bumpers"

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 13:14:39 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Trini y Sean (PATangoS)
<patangos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Whether folks like it or not, "milonguero" is a term that has
> been accepted by enough people to make it valid description
> of a style of tango.

     Perhaps, but I still refuse to use it.  As far as I'm concerned,
there are two basic types of tango:  fantasia (performing), and salon
(social).  A subset of salon is apilado, which is what Susana Miller
and Cacho Dante do.

     Coincidentally, the first time I ever heard the term "milonguero
style," it was more resembling what Larry mentioned, to wit, old
balding fat guys waddling around the dance floor like ducks.  Oddly
enough, though, it didn't come across (to me at least) as an insulting
term, but rather a respectful, authentic one, describing a more
down-to-earth, blue-collar, dancing for decades club-sytle tango.  In
other words, we can't be 20 years old, slim and delicately elegant
forever.

Huck