[Tango-L] How to lead volcadas

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 00:02:02 EDT 2008

Larry,
I also first learned a basic Volcada as you describe it, i.e. as a simple forward lean.
The problem is that times have changed and, largely because of Nuevo terminology,
few people call that a Volcada anymore. As mentioned in another post, that figure
is now called a Carpa [tent] or Puente [bridge]. And I agree with you that a Puente
should definitely be taught and learned before a Volcada is attempted.
But Larry, to avoid the confusion you're obviously feeling, I would respectfully suggest
that you try to keep up with the modern terminology. Otherwise, IMHO, you end up
speaking a different language to everyone else. As seems to be the case with your
understanding of a basic Volcada.
Your other examples - the Calecita [Merry-Go-Round] and Walking Backward Drag
[only seen that on stage] are also not now normally classified as 'Volcadas'.
Larry, you spent an hour checking 30 videos on YouTube and found none that
described the basic Volcada as you think it is. Didn't that tell you something?
Jack