[Tango-L] No need to take sides

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Fri Aug 1 19:32:04 EDT 2008

What Jack says is a little mean, and certainly divisive, considering I was trying to make
peace by defending the much-maligned "close embrace people" who supposedly are the only
ones who criticize other dance styles. So I'm going to try to defend myself.

I dance, and teach, many styles regularly - Canyengue, milonguero, salon, open, nuevo. I
don't mind people dancing the style they and their partner prefer and are able to execute
successfully with others on the floor. But they must be good at it, so they don't risk
ruining another's dance experience. I think we all agree on that.

Even good dancers can be seduced by the allure of that cool move they just learned, even
though it doesn't fit on the floor and their lead is a little tenuous. And good teachers
can be seduced by the demands of their students, asking for colgadas when they can't walk
yet. (Would you like to know how much trouble I got in when I stood in for another teacher,
and instead of furthering the student's education on single axis turns, I said "let's learn
to walk first"?) And we can all be tempted to blame the other guy on the floor, who is
always using too much space. And we can all be tempted to lump them into a particular
style. We have a guy here in town who constantly uses too much space and bumps into others.
Surprisingly, he always blames the other guy. Then there's the imitators who never take
lessons but do the move they saw anyway. Ewwww!

So, if that is true that only Close Embrace people criticize, why is it that Traditional
tango, Nuevo, canyengue people don't criticize people who dance in close? Are they just so
much more tolerant? Is there nothing to complain about? (BTW, I've heard some of my
favorite dancers derisively called "floor walkers" because they prefer close.)

Yes, I defend my teaching style, which I did not come up with on my own. I studied the
techniques of the most successful teachers I knew - those who put the most good dancers on
the floor in a short amount of time. It's working here, too.

Lois

Sergio states: Now the most interesting thing is : Those that dance Traditional tango,
Nuevo, canyengue, never criticize anyone else.
Those that dance all the styles never criticize anyone but...
The ones that dance close embrace all the time, milonguero, have multiple problems
expressed in many forms."