[Tango-L] gender imbalance

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Apr 28 20:46:47 EDT 2008

David,

Sad, sad... this is very sad. :)

You dance with people because of their level of dance?! beginner or advanced?!

And what if they have bad breath, look desperate, and have nothing
intresting to say?  What if you say "axis" to a woman, and she smiles
and says "yes, of course", but is thinking "this guy is crazy, I have
no idea what he is talking about"?

The sad part is when people dance with people only because of what
they perceive the other person's dancing level to be.  Once, in
ancient times, I danced with a man who, as I recall, may not have
been a great dancer (but I can't be sure).  While we danced, he was
telling me hillarious jokes in my ear.  I was hurting from
laughter.  I laughted at those jokes for years.

You can teach someone to find his/her axis (and even someone else's
:), and whatever else, but you cannot teach them to be witty and entertaining.

On a serious note, dancers hold real power to mold other dancers.  A
man who is a fabulous dancer, can teach a woman, any woman, almost
any basic technical element non-verbally, while simply dancing with
her.  But why would we do that?  Social duty? Not at all.  Instead,
more from a recognition that people are much more than their dancing
abilities, and that it may be a mistake to dance with a proficiency
level instead of a person.

Best,

Nina