[Tango-L] gender imbalance

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Apr 28 21:09:54 EDT 2008

I forgot to mention something that was the reason that I wrote the
post in the first place -  any one dancer, a man or a woman, needs
only one other dancer at any moment that he/she would like to
dance.  It is ot a requirement that all other people in the room are
dancin.  So gender balance/imbalance is irrelevant.   It is not how
many are there that is important, but rather who is there.

If a woman wants to dance with a particular man, and he is busy
dancing with someone else, he is not available and it is irrelevant
whether there are other men and that there may be gender
balance.  That particular man is not available for that particular
tanda.  Instead dancing with whomever, and spend the precious music
while thinking "I wish I was dancing with the other one", it might be
better to sit.

And, (would you believe ?!), it is possible to walk into a milonga in
BsAs, full of people, some very good dancers, and say  "There is
nobody here to dance with!".

Nina