[Tango-L] Community building

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 16:18:44 EDT 2008

Stephen wrote:

<<<What Ron described is happening in many U.S. cities--the seeming
proliferation of tango activities without a comensurate growth in
community size, with the consequence smaller and smaller attendance at any
given event.>>>

We have had this same problem in NYC for many years but in spite of the
diluted scene, the tango community has grown to fill in the spaces somewhat. We now
have many milongas every week and new workshops on almost a weekly basis and
some for extended stays...but we also ahve a very large community. We also
attract a lot of good people and many Argentines pass through here and live here.
  Even in the beginning days when the milonga of Danel and Maria was the only
dance in town, there was a community of older expat Argentines here who would
show up every week. But I would caution that NYC is not your typical city in
this regard. There are still new venues that open here, and just as many soon
close.
However one venue is consistent with other cities...the restaurant that has a
slow night (or has low attendance in general) that expects to bring in a
tango crowd to bolster its business.   After an initial rush they usually close. A
few have survived but as Stephen said, tango dancers do not spend money on
food and liquor and often the restaurant will drop the tango night, especially
if business picks up. One or two have survived here, notably Lafayette Grill
which also has tango now on other nights (but it is an exception), but the floor
is a little small and the level of dancing is mixed. Others hang in but
usually with a small crowd. I have personally seen maybe twenty "restaurant
milongas" come and go.
Most of the people who run the milongas have resigned themselves to making
only a certain amount of money and no more...no one makes a big profit. Most of
the people who run the milongas have other income or are involved in other
milongas and workshops.

As Danel once said to me: Nobody got rich from tango, except Francisco
Canaro.

Cheers,
Charles