[Tango-L] Community building/ Tango in restaurants & bars

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Tue Apr 29 17:37:19 EDT 2008

Don't give up on these places yet, Charles.  About a year ago I was contacted by a local
Latin restaurant, a really nice, popular place, asking me to do a tango night. The night
they chose was Thursday.

I warned the owners that this night would probably not succeed, because Thursday nights had
already recently seen a tango night closed because of lack of business. Also, this same
place had at one time had a tango night on Wednesday, hosted by another teacher (although I
later took over). The owner at that time was not satisfied, and we decided to close it
down.

The night is still going strong, and it's a lot of fun. I think the combination of not too
high of expectations, plus a go-between (someone between the dancers and the owners), was
the difference.

It is true that dancers don't spend as much as other patrons. But worse than that, they are
messy (shoes and bags everywhere), they don't leave, and they are demanding (the music is
too quiet/loud, the place is too hot/cold, the dance floor is too slick/sticky, not big
enough) plus they don't make room for waitstaff. If there is no one but the restaurant
staff to complain to, the owners get pretty sick of the dancers. I provide that
"go-between" service to the restaurant.

I have been running a dance night at another location once a month now for 4 years, and the
owners love us. I think I finally learned how to run these nights.  I don't tell them that
a dance night will solve their fiscal problems, bring in lots of new customers, make their
place a hot-spot....I know I can't promise that. I thank them for having us. I am mindful
that we are in their place, not that they work for us. I thank them, and I ask the dancers
who come to thank them as well.

Oh, yes - any tango teacher who organizes a dance night with the purpose of making money is
crazy. Organizing dance nights is a service that all teachers should provide for their
communities (if they are invested in the community).  It may make some money - about
$3/hour if you count the whole night plus the legwork. Don't expect to get lots of students
either. Other teachers who come to the event are on the lookout for newbies, too. What you
get is a stronger community that, someday, may have a bigger returns for everyone. Oh,
yeah, and it's more fun!!

Lois Donnay
Minneapolis (welcoming everyone to the Heartland Tango Festival in 2 weeks!)