[Tango-L] Are they really Tango Gods?.. or could it be me?

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Mon Apr 28 13:54:02 EDT 2008

> I don't think that's all there is. It is also undoubtedly true that
> BsAs. has
> had quite some time to develop an ethos of tango that different
> cultures have
> a hard time to develop or even embrace - certainly the ultra-
> individualistic
> and undoubtedly more abrasive USA (where in-your-face assertiveness
> is seen
> much more as a virtue).

WTF?

You've been watching too much US television and too many of our
Conservative politicians. In the cultural sense, individual N.
Americans are more likely to be relatively conflict averse. We have
other negative stereotypes that I'm willing to admit to over beers.
Too much pseudo-self-esteem, perhaps.

Argentine culture has some common stereotypes as well. Across Latin
America, they tell jokes about it, hell, even Argentines repeat these
same jokes.

Anyway, you will find that on the individual level, people are pretty
warm and friendly, no matter what the culture.

Tom Stermitz
Denver Tango Festivals
http://LaEternaMilonga.com
Denver, CO 80207