[Tango-L] Are they really Tango Gods?.. or could it be me?

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Mon Apr 28 14:41:05 EDT 2008

Tom Stermitz wrote:
> You've been watching too much US television and too many of our
> Conservative politicians.

Uhm - I happen to work for a US based company, you know. I *am*
familiar with more than the stereotypes.

> In the cultural sense, individual N.
> Americans are more likely to be relatively conflict averse.

Yes, but not actually in the same *way* that someone from BsAs.
would be. For one thing, they're much less afraid of losing
face, which fosters a more direct method of communication
(in which you don't pussyfoot around in a conversation).

I'm not judging anyone - just pointing out that it's natural
for someone to travel to somewhere else to be surprised at how
culture may influence patterns of behaviour and ways of dancing -
and to enjoy some of the differences. It's not just *they*
that cast away their inhibitions; there really *is* something
different in the air. The grass is indeed a different kind
of green on the other side.

> Anyway, you will find that on the individual level, people are pretty
> warm and friendly, no matter what the culture.

Of course (though you'd hardly guess from reading tango-l, which seems
to regularly illustrate Poe's Law very well -- but of course, people
are rarely the fire-breathing dragons they are online¹;) ).

The way they dance around each other in the social dance, though, isn't
exactly the same in all cultures (which explains the plural).

--
¹Except me, of course. Fourth man: "I am a gorilla."

Alexis Cousein                                  al at sgi.com
Senior Systems Engineer/Solutions Architect     SGI/Silicon Graphics
--
<If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals>