[Tango-L] "Hiding" weight changes

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 16:20:17 EDT 2008

--- Keith <keith at tangohk.com> wrote:

I've always believed that the man should change weight so
that the lady doesn't even feel it. If she does feel it,
she should follow it unless the man prevents that in some
way, eg. 'suspension'.
---

Hi Keith,

Sean here. Personally, I would be amazed by any man who
could change weight in a way such that a moderately
sensitive woman "doesn't even feel it". You must either
shift your axis or loose your balance when you change
weight. Assuming both partners know enough to maintain an
axis, either action will be detected. Surely you know that
there is no way a woman can change weight without a
competent man feeling it. Why would it be any different the
other way around?

If a man wants to change weight without the woman changing
weight, he simply moves himself while indicating to her to
stay on her axis. The calicita is the most obvious example,
but the exact same principal applies any time the man
wishes to change between crossed and parallel system.

The idea that the man could hide his weight change from the
woman is often taught, but probably impossible to achieve.
The only thing achieved is too keep gullible people coming
back for more classes instead of learning to dance. (Sorry
if that sounds like a Chris UK statement. I’m not
anti-teaching, just anti-incompetence.)

One of the lead-follow exercises I teach to rank beginners
is to change their partner's weight without changing their
weight, and to change their weight without changing their
partners weight. I do this as an exercise, not connected to
any sequence of steps. Once they can do it standing in one
place, I ask them to do it walking. First the man changes
weight every time he passes through neutral, while leading
the woman to continue through the step without a weight
change. Next the man indicates to the woman to change
weight every time she passes through neutral, while he
continues through the step. Once they can manage these two
for a full song, I ask the men to mix it up. He decides and
indicates whether he, she or both will change weight on the
up beat. This is all done in practice embrace, with the
man's arms at his side, and the woman's arms on his chest.

It is interesting that most people who have never danced
tango can figure out and do this exercise in under an hour.
But many people who have been taking (other's) classes for
months can't manage it.

Sean

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/