[Tango-L] Buffalo's Ladies Only lesson report.

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Sun Apr 27 08:10:11 EDT 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:31:01 -0400, you wrote:

>Floyd,
>
>Wow, so much to comment on, but I'll follow Michael's lead and pick just one.
>
> On Thu Apr 24 10:30 , Floyd Baker  sent:
>
>> ignoring the leader's weight changes, and
>>many other ways they need to be aware of,  if they are to Tango
>>correctly.
>>

>Why should the lady 'ignore' the man's weight changes or, more importantly,
>how should she know when to ignore them and when to follow them? I've
>always believed that the man should change weight so that the lady doesn't
>even feel it. If she does feel it, she should follow it unless the man prevents
>that in some way, eg. 'suspension'.
>
>Keith, HK

The lady must ignore the leaders independent weight changes, as the
leader constantly changes his weight when he doesn't want the follower
to.   He wants the follower to change her weight only when she's *led*
to do so..

Certainly one dances to not let their weight changes be felt.  But
many followers have been trained to specifically feel for them, and to
react to them too.., in other dances maybe?  So you must allow for
that.

We should really go back to the expression in Tango that 'the leader
follows'...  Where any good leader gives the lead first.., to get the
follower moving,  and then the leader does what he was going to do,
after it's too late for the lady to think she should have done a
weight change first.

That way the leader doesn't have to worry about a follower doing
things on her own, like getting onto the wrong foot.  It's really not
her option.

But of course if the follower understands Tango, she would not take
the leaders weight changes as a lead for her to do so too..  And
that's what I said of course.

Tango on...

Floyd

     Buffalo Tango - Argentine Tango - How To Tango
     * * * * * *  www.buffalotango.com  * * * * * *