[Tango-L] dressing well?

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Thu Apr 17 21:19:04 EDT 2008

Joe,

Yes, indeed, one might need a cold shower or two after that.  I would
love to see that, instead of the amoeba tango so prevalent everywhere now.

Dressing well in tango is not about the clothes.  It is about respect
- of yourself and others.  The author of the article made it very
clear that, in his opinion, in bad nuevo, bad clothes communicate no respect.

It is about self-care.  It is also about the stimulus value - knowing
what effect you have on others and being able to control that.

Personally, I respect a man that can dress himself well (and does not
need a woman to pick out his ties).  Maybe the bad clothes
communicate "Save me!" or "I am looking for a home".  Or maybe they
just communiate that a person does not know himself/herself well and
how he/she presents himself/herself to the world.  Or maybe they say
- "Stay away!" or "look at me!", or "I am a rebel!".  Or maybe the
bad clothes clearly state a "nuevo" gang affilliation.  Do they have
their colors? :)

Dancing well is not a phenomena isolated from other things about a
person.  A person cannot dance well and remain a slob in his/her
life.  Tango does not forgive lying.  If one tries to lie in this
dance, he/she willl pay with self-esteem.

Personally, if a man has charm, I don't care what he wears, as long
as he smells good.  But charm is rare and very expensive in a
non-material way.   It requires a purposeful cultivation of an innate
talent.  And a very controlled ego.

If a man has charm, he can be a bad dancer and I will not even notice
it.   But if a man has no charm, then I will hold him to the highest
standard of dancing.

Best,

Nina