[Tango-L] New "nuevo tango" Sacrifices Tradition and Grace

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 15:50:30 EDT 2008

Martin Waxmen wrote:
 > Popular and perpetuated legend. No historic proof. And, if it was,
who cares?

I was trying for sarcasm. Guess that wasn't obvious.

Terrence Clark's article, despite it's fine sentences, is a bunch of
recycled clichés and unfounded opinions.

About the only thing it has going for it is that it bashes tango nuevo
dancers. I understand, that thrills a lot of people. Fine. That
doesn't make it a great article.

And "I am uncomfortable" with his explanation of the importance of
dressing properly.

"When it is danced by people who know how to dance it, tango is a
sensuous undertaking of direct erotic power and great feeling.
Dressing well for it gives it even more of this power because the
elegance of the dress enhances the fires rising from the soul and the
heart. The fires, as it were, hide themselves within the clothing.
They smolder there. They're fanned by suggestion and nuance. They
begin to appear as the result of the erotic give-and-take between two
very involved dancers, and when the flames finally break out, they are
truly incendiary."
Well, let's watch a traditional couple who really knows how to dance
tango, and who are dressed properly. Keep your fire extinguisher
handy. You may need a cold shower afterward.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDKwI0I8xms&feature=related