[Tango-L] Surplus Tanguera - Not (reply to Skip's 1st)

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Thu Apr 17 10:21:24 EDT 2008

Trini, I disagree. I think the multiple-tanda woman is motivated by not
wanting to mess with a good thing.  She looks around and sees surplus
women standing around not dancing every time she goes out, and she
thinks "that could be me if I'm not careful, he wants to dance a lot
with me, I like dancing with him, and maybe he would move on to another
partner who is willing to dance multiple dances."

A lot of men are not looking for novelty and the challenge of figuring
out different follows.  They are simply going to stick with a partner
all night if there is no pressure to do otherwise.  It makes them feel
more competent with the responsibility of leading, they relax more
because they know what is going to happen, and of course...everyone
enjoys dancing more with someone they enjoy dancing with.  These guys
are in every type of social dance, not just tango.  (A lot of people on
this list are extremely high level and very motivated and might like the
novelty of different partners.  They forget that the average dancer who
is not so committed, doesn't necessarily enjoy the challenge of figuring
out multiple partners.)

Long cortinas are absolutely necessary to encourage people to switch.

I would recommend a cortina of 2 minutes or more, ie, a whole non-tango
song.  With a short cortina it's very easy to remain standing in the
middle of the floor with the same partner--sometimes they even keep
their arms together!  If the cortina is longer, standing in the middle
of the floor with people staring at you starts to feel uncomfortable,
and people are more likely to leave the floor and get a drink or socialize.

The power struggles and effects on social behavior caused by a surplus
of leads or follows are underrated.  Community organizers should be
thoughtful about this.

Plus my other comments on the way this problem is exacerbated by long
tandas, and not having available non-tanda dancing at practicas in
communities where partners are more willing to try out new partners, etc
etc.

Regards,

--
Carol Ruth Shepherd