[Tango-L] the sexy-tango myth

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Mon Apr 14 03:50:56 EDT 2008

When Shahrukh Marchant created TANGO-L in the '90s I participated in it for several years.  I just returned to it and began by scanning Lucy Lynch's archive of the last couple of years.

I noticed that people are still making the silly claim that tango is the sexiest of all dances.  Get real, people.  Not even a strip tease is sexy.  Only people are.

Consider a strip tease done by someone you find unattractive or even plain repulsive.  Consider your reaction if that same someone does a gancho between your legs or a leg-caress or presses their body tightly against yours, or any of the other "passionate" tango moves.  Is there any act that they can do that would turn you on?

In 50 years of dancing several kinds of swing, ballroom, disco, folk, and tropical dances I've found that it's the person and their attitude toward you that is sexy, not any specific dance or movement of a dance.

I still remember a stately waltz that I did with a long-time lover that was as sexy as any of the tangos I've done over the nineteen years I've danced tango.  It began while we were separated by a room's distance and only caught glimpses of each other at first.  For most of the evening while we danced with others we slowly came nearer each other, stealing looks at the other and pretending not to notice the other's existence.  The evening was almost over before we embraced and moved onto the dance floor, to circle the room at arms length, doing nothing complicated at all, but lost in each other.

Larry de Los Angeles

Click here for great computer networking solutions!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iighEHn9KdDgwtTmizLzv2RDOGrRpp2PkpOiLH44znzJHa7n0/