[Tango-L] Bibi Wong, Surplus Tanguera Myth

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Mon Apr 14 13:22:25 EDT 2008

 Bibi wrote: " not aware of a tango community that tangueros out-number
tangueras.  Educate me if I am wrong."
I am beginning to suspect this oft repeated refrain is a female ruse to
keep other women out of tango.

Well, since you asked, Bibi...  In NYC, at most of the milongas by about
11pm, you will count more men than women sitting waiting for a dance. At
the few where there are more women intitally, just arrive a bit later,
by mid milonga you will again count way more men than women. I dance on
average 6 or 7 nights per week.  It is easy to check out one or more
milongas and practicas on my way home.  If I come without my partner and
see a ratio of
2: 1 or more extra men sitting around, my entrada stays in my pocket I
do a rebote out the door faster than you can say "change of direction."
Might be interesting to post continuing ratio statistics on a blog or
facebook, in a world of perfect information access one would think the
discrepancies would even out.   But so far they havent.
 Hey, tango expenses add up, people, and you have to weigh the value of
one private lesson versus 5 milongas where you sit around a lot.   If
you are coming to nyc Bibi, Email me and I will tell you which milongas
have lots of men sitting around. A side benefit for you, due to Darwin's
laws of natural selection and competition for scarce resources, you will
find that there are more advanced leaders than there are advanced
followers in NYC.