[Tango-L] Surplus Tanguera - Not

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 22:58:42 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Chris, UK <tl2 at chrisjj.com> wrote:
> > Actually, I believe the root cause is a DJ who plays music which people
> > don't want to dance to.
>
> I've never met a good DJ that doesn't play some music that some people
> don't want to dance to. Nor a good dancer that dances every number.

     There's the key right there.

> Brick wrote:
> > So you are suggesting that the DJ should ignore the Tango customs and
> > codas that members of this list, and Tangueros world wide, hold so dear?
>
> Yup! ;) In a milonga where people already ignoring the music when inviting,
> it won't help for the DJ impose yet more customs to be ignored! ;)

     I don't see how even further eroding what makes a milonga a
milonga is helpful.

     I must ask, has San Diego really sunk this low, where women have
to hide to get away from the feeding frenzy?  Have the men no
self-esteem?   Or the women, for that matter, who allow all this to
happen instead of setting reasonable boundaries.

     I've seen similar behavior in situations elsewhere where the
ratio is the opposite and women lose all self-respect and prey on the
men like this, trying to grab them for the next tanda before the men
have even escorted their current partner back to her table.

     I for one do not give in to that sort of rude behavior, because
it only encourages more of it.

     I'll tell you what my guy friends and I do here in Phoenix when
the milonga has too few women--we look at each other, shrug, and say,
"Oh well, guess it's gonna be more of a drinking night than a dancing
night," and just hit the wine and the gossip twice as hard.

     I just don't get this whole feeding frenzy thing, or even when
there isn't a frenzy, why so many people want to dance every tanda, as
though otherwise they are not getting their money's worth, or as
though they have no musical preferences whatsoever and it doesn't
matter what music is playing.  I often wonder if these people, men or
women, are the same ones who think having marathon sex sessions for
four hours straight is fascinating too.

Huck