[Tango-L] Surplus Tanguera - Not

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Apr 15 17:42:55 EDT 2008

Brick Robbins wrote:

> So you are suggesting that the DJ should ignore the Tango customs and
> codas that members of this list, and Tangueros world wide, hold so
> dear?

I don't hold them so dear that I feel a calling as a guardian of orthodoxy,
and I'm a member of the list (and happen to live in this world, too).

Different social context, different customs. Or are you in favour of
men in black customes cracking the whip each time someone asks someone
else to dance instead of using the cabeceo?

As I said the last time that kind of discussion, tandas are perfectly
clear even *without* cortinas if you wish not to use them (if you have
a set of four valses and then a long intro for something that is
*evidently* not a vals and you don't get the point, no amount of hitting
you over the head with a cluebat will help - I have used cortinas and
seen some people dance "tango" on them, despite my attempts at making
it as awkward as I could possibly do).

The number of Argentines that have lamented the lack of cortinas when
I happened to play music without using them can be counted on the
fingers of zero hands. I have had complaints, but only of
non-Argentineans wanting to overargentine the Argentineans.

> That some resident of the United States should ignore the wisdom of
> the Milongueros of BsAs

Argument by authority. By the way, I dispute the fact that customs
are, by definition, something "wise" to be worshipped regardless of
consequences (and regardless of the social context).

They're customs, not rites, unless you're seeing tango
as a religion rather than as the social dance it is (even for those
wise Argentines that live and breathe it).

  and try to improve upon or "Amercianize"  the
> way things are done in Argentina?

Oh, and I'm not American - and in case you missed it, neither is Chris.

Alexis Cousein                                  al at sgi.com
Senior Systems Engineer/Solutions Architect     SGI/Silicon Graphics
--
<If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals>