[Tango-L] Surplus Tanguera - Not

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Tue Apr 15 16:54:05 EDT 2008

Chris, UK  wrote

>>You've described a group for whom the music
is secondary, so no surprise at all that here the curtain's effect is
actually detrimental.<<

Actually I've described a group of men who want to dance.

They do care about the music, They care about the music a lot.

But if the men wait for the music to start, there are no followers
left to dance with, and they sit.

Once they get a partner they enjoy, they will often hang onto her for
several Tandas, and eventually get music they like. This contributes
the feeding frenzy when one of these women becomes available.

>> The root cause is a DJ that plays a curtain
because "its the done thing" rather than being sensitive to whether it's
effect is positive or negative in that particular milonga.The DJ could
stop using a curtain.
Then after every tanda, the dancers
will hear what the next music is before there's time for invitations.<<

So you are suggesting that the DJ should ignore the Tango customs and
codas that members of this list, and Tangueros world wide, hold so
dear?

That some resident of the United States should ignore the wisdom of
the Milongueros of BsAs and try to improve upon or "Amercianize"  the
way things are done in Argentina?

Wow....