[Tango-L] Surplus Tanguera - Not

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Tue Apr 15 14:32:30 EDT 2008

Brick Robbins wrote:
>Another community with too many men (or more accurately, not enough
>women) is San Diego. ...

>And ... , we have a Tango Studio in town which
>primarily teaches "cool moves" and "patterns" and has several "in
>house" milongas every week.  For whatever reason, not many of their
>students or teachers join us in the general community, nor do the
>members of the community often attend their milongas. That studio's
>milongas have an excess of women.

So, one might more accurately claim that the distribution of men and women
isn't even across milongas in San Diego.

Let's look at tango instruction as a filter, rather than purely
instructional.  Achieving a balance between men and women requires
instruction that appeals equally to both genders.  Maybe one couple can do
that, but maybe a mix of instructors appealing to different groups of
people can generate a better balance within a community.  Now, if we could
only get those people to attend the same milonga.  :-)

Steve