[Tango-L] Good advice from Milena Plebs

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Sat Apr 12 18:08:25 EDT 2008

Trusting and giving oneself
by Milena Plebs

Upon finding ourselves in the embrace of tango we engage our body, we
involve ourselves at a physical level and we are vulnerable. There is an
intense exchange of energy between both participants and hygiene plays a
fundamental role when sharing this dance.

Historically milongueros have always been immaculate people careful with
their personal appearance. They are very conscious of the importance of
their composure and of smelling good when getting ready to face a night of
tango embraces. To share this dance of two, it is important to follow
certain codes that should be communicated: neatness, fresh breath, absence
of body odors and excessive perspiration.

The main reason for social dancing is to share it with someone else, to
enjoy together and to please the person embracing us. There is an issue of
trust and of giving oneself. With each tanda we welcome a new dance
companion. We offer our bodies in a total and intense way, committing
hearing, sight, touch and smell. Therefore we need for the embrace to smell
good in addition to being good. Body odors will bring down the quality of a
good male or female dancer in an instant.

Perhaps in other countries this situation is lived differently, perhaps in
other cultures it is not a problem. But we are speaking of Argentine tango,
where the embrace can be very close, and neatness and good aroma are
fundamental. Personal care and being meticulous about our appearance is part
of the culture in the Rio de la Plata. We may bathe even more than once a
day; we use perfumes, deodorant, colognes, mouthwashes. Caught up in the
enjoyment and the enthusiasm of dancing, at times we do not notice that we
are soaked in sweat. That is why, out of respect for others, some people
that sweat a lot, carry clothes to changed into, or they let a tanda go by
without dancing to get dry and to be refreshed. Also there are men that
carry a handkerchief in their left hand to avoid the contact of perspiring
hands.

Although I speak from my female point of view, this subject applies to both
genders. Men or women-we all should pay attention to this. It is not so
difficult: shower, deodorant, clean clothes, a mint in the mouth and, if
possible, not to expose ourselves to the "exotic" odor of frying food that
stays in clothes and hair. A dry and pleasant smelling embrace is definitely
a good start. And everybody else will be really grateful.
Copyright © El Tangauta 2008