[Tango-L] The Cross - final note

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 4 10:15:25 EDT 2008

Last night I went to dance to L'Alliance Francaise, here in Mar del Plata.

Most of the dancers there were trained by Nicolas and Anastasia, social and stage dancers.
(they  have a web page, if you wish to read about them). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVWnioLGUpU
They had a tango show at the Opera Theater that lasted all summer long.

I have taken some training in stage dancing from them.

They step heel first and dance without doing the cross, they also promote the use of rather short steps.
They claim that the original tango did not have the cross.
Nicolas does not know when the cross became part of the tango choreography.

I am one of those that like to learn everything about tango, over the years I have been instructed
in the different styles of tango.

Many great tango dancers and instructors that were my teachers, teach the woman to cross by default
whenever the man walks to her right.

I remember (in this respect)Nito and Elba, Osvaldo Zotto and Mora, Carlos copes,  Lorena, Cecilia, Carlos Copello, Jose vazquez (Lampazo),
Mingo Pugliese, Jorge Firpo y Aurora and many others that I have known over the years.

We all lead the cross in Milonga.  Tango changes all the time depending on who the instructor is.
The leading of the cross discussion appeared not too long ago. I run into this type of instruction very seldom.

***The important thing is to know that there are many ways to dance tango and they are all correct.

The more ignorant the dancer is, the more dogmatic he becomes. The worst ones are those that have only been
exposed to  one way of dancing tango and therefore believe that that is the universe of tango.

Have a nice day, lead the cross whenever you wish, ...or not. :))

Sergio
Mar del Plata, Argentina