[Tango-L] estilos de abrazas

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 03:33:13 EDT 2008

Robin asks; how about the
placement of the women's arms and head?

Hi Robin, and all,
I've watched this trend with interest the last couple
of years, and asked around about it. I've been told
that it's "just a style", and also "more freeing" for
the woman. My own observations seem to indicate that
these "holds" (as you describe them, Robin!), are used
almost exclusively by those interested slightly more
in the "exhibition" aspect of tango; those who dance
more open or "V", and those that alternate between
close and open embrace.
The "draping of the arm"; can be used in close
embrace, and even in "milonguero", and is many times
accompanied by open, spread fingers. I find it
inelegant to watch, and uncomfortable to feel. My
teacher cautioned followers seven years ago (way
before this "trend"), to avoid the "gecko paw" look of
splayed fingers. I can dance with women who do this,
but I don't go searching them out for a second tanda.
It's ugly, and it sucks, when compared against that
beautiful connection when our hearts are focussed.
The "woman's left arm very low"; even more obviously
for open moves, etc, where this position does not
constrict leader's right arm/shoulder. This embrace
does not work well at all except in very open, very
physical movements. I will not dance at all with a
woman who hampers my abilities and efforts in this
manner (since I dance only super-close!)
As far as men who insist on follower's head direction?
I've never seen, or heard that a man would insist on
woman turning her head like this. I will not dictate
to them, and I'll probably finish the tanda, but for a
woman to hold her head anywhere but naturally over her
shoulders, looking over my right shoulder, is nearly
universally unbearable. For a woman to hold her head
to her right is almost always extremely uncomfortable.
I've danced with a couple of womwn over the last
century who can pull it off.
All head contact should be incidental, and gentle;
temple to temple, or cheek to cheek, but with
absolutely no focus of lead or follow through cranium.

And as an aside, in addressing the recent debate
regarding whether crosses are lead, or automatic, or
not lead, or not automatic, etc, etc....please let it
be known: CROSSES ARE LEAD. PERIOD. An "automatic
cross" is a MISTAKE, which can be caused by the
leader, or the follower, but it is a "MISTAKE". "La
Cruzada" is a move that is lead; it is not
"automatic". THERE IS NO "AUTOMATIC" IN ARGENTINE
TANGO!!!!

See you in Atlanta, later on!

Michael
Robin wrote.....
Especially interested in two "holds" that I observe
these days in the
milongas in BA.
First the draping of the woman's left arm down across
the shoulder of
the man with elbow pointed at the ceiling and the
other with the
woman's left arm placed very low, almost around the
man's waist.

And then there are the men who insist that the woman
turn her head to
 the right.

Robin Tara
Tara Tango Shoes