[Tango-L] Walking to the cross

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 17:02:17 EDT 2008

Hi Keith,    The object of your last note is to assert that the cross should "always be led" . You provided the following elements:

Dani "El flaco" - "You say: The first figure clearly shows Dani 'El Flaco' Garcia leading Maria Plazaola to the position where I say she should "cross by default". But it doesn't happen and Dani leads a Back Cross...then you add "Sorry Sergio but, IMHO, I now think that what you say about the cross by default is not the best way to dance the cross. IMO, it should always be led by the man and that's the way it should be taught."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErmwG5IIe6k&feature=related   (Dani "el flaco").

Earlier I had provided the following videos

Ernest williams  the cross
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlrxF2DQTWE  (he actively leads the cross), he is an excellent dancer.

Oscar Casas   The Cross

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIKnh_1KR0A (he allows the cross to happen or prevents it from happening)
                                                      he is also an excellent dancer.

I welcome your comments, as I think that they are very interesting and well informed.

The difference between you and me seem to be that you think that the cross should "always be led", and I said that IMO
most people "do not lead the cross" . This does not mean that they do not have absolute control of the dance, they allow the
cross to occur by default or else they prevent the cross from happening.

Dani, "El flaco" whom I have seen dancing...like many other milongueros can dance in many different ways,
in the video you provided he starts with a salida without the cross, but later on, he dances like Oscar casas and the rest of us:
***He allows the cross to happen or prevents it from happening by placing his foot close to her foot, so that she cannot cross.
Nancy also said that many milongueros dance without ever allowing the cross.  This is true.

Please review Oscar Casas video . Compare this with the one provided by Ernest where he "actively induces the cross"
and then decide the way you wish to dance and teach.  All styles are valid and have merits.

                 the lady executes the cross in perfect frame, her shoulders aligned with those of her partner. She does not
                 lose alignment with the line of dance, her back is parallel to the back wall as she executes the cross.
                  IMO a more elegant form of dancing.

Best regards, Sergio
Mar del Plata, Argentina