[Tango-L] The subject that never dies.

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Wed Apr 2 13:07:00 EDT 2008

Floyd wrote:
> I would reword it to say...:
>
> Unfortunately the prevalent instructor's method greatly favours class
> models that tell the girls to copy a move rather than teach the guys...

Interesting! But I think slight flawed... if the "prevalent instructor's
method" is the DIC method (Demonstration, Instruction, Correction).

Your propose this method favours models that "tell the girl to copy
a move". Well, since "telling the girl..." is inherent to the /method/, to
attribute it to the /model/ is, I think, unsound.

> The instructors that cause it to happen.

Agreed. But its true only because instructors have been selected by the
model. Each instructor is free to choose his method, except if his /model/
is unviable economically, soon he's no longer an instructor.

> It was absolutely clear to me, immediately upon taking my very first
> major workshop,  that what I was taught was wrong.  That memorized
> patterns were not the way to go.  In fact there was no lead taught at
> all at that class. And the instructors were considered top of the line.

My experience too. Then I found everyone who considered these instructors
"top of the line" was a fellow instructor, or someone who'd not yet
learned to dance, or both.

Mario wrote:
> Floyd...  I hope that you continue to keep us up-to-date on the results
> of your experimentationi in new, effective ways to teach/learn

Floyd, I hope you'll continue to update us on the results of these /old/
effective ways to teach/learn ;)

Good luck!

--
Chris