[Tango-L] Strong Lead - resistance effect

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Sat Sep 22 18:57:24 EDT 2007

Sorry Steve, I forgot to send this one to the list...
So here it is:

Again,

Please, do not confuse ability to work with higher resistance with strong
lead.

Strong lead is a totally different thing than high resistance.

The next is true: Strong leader is able to manipulate with low or high
resistance at ease.
And resistance is always present.
Low resistance does not mean NO Resistance. No resistance means as it is: no
high, no low one.

And answering your question in a short sentence, Michael and Steve,

here is some substantiation ( very short )

High resistance in a body allows high frequency oscillation to be
transmitted easier - it means making you more sensitive to changes in small
movements or sharp movements. It allows feedback to the leader - he feels
her much better. It is by far does not explain all the effects possible with
high resistance.

( a little clarification to people unfamiliar what "oscillation" means in
scientific sense. If means sharper, smaller signals are transmitted and
reacted to better. Not necessarily real oscillating moves, just changes. It
means - yes, sensitivity ).

As Steve put it, it allows bodies to be unified in the dance like nothing
else.
In a way, resistance means answering to a man - affecting him, telling him
"I am here, and I am listening, and I do what you want - in other words -
Feedback.

Low resistance is better for wider, slower moves, or when you feel like
flying...
High resistance is great for good milonga. I would say, essential. And for
old Salon Style. The less space is for dancing, the higher resistance
better.

Or whatever which tickles your fancy - it is an art. Do what you want, but
with it.

Igor Polk.
Ps Resistance does not mean blocking the movement.

* * *
About the paradox of "teachers insist on more resistance  while experienced
dancers insist on low resistance"

1. Teachers teach women resistance. It is one of the cornerstone of dancing
- without it - it is impossible to dance. While the experienced dancers
often are tired of over-resistance of student women. These women have not
mastered yet what their teachers told them. So these dancers bring them to
higher level, but they do really bad job for hard-working teachers if they
insist on "no resistance at all". See 2. ( Again - over-tension is not a
resistance ).

2. Dancing with resistance is at least a level up of average dancing skills
I observe. A lot of people, especially men, do not know much about
resistance and do not know how to handle over-resistance. That is bad, and I
hope it will be remedies. I will put all my efforts in helping bringing good
dancing back to life.

* * *
Thank you for the great "Fly-By-Wire" example, Steve !!!

* * *
If you want to read some more about it, please, read my old article
http://www.virtuar.com/tango/articles/2005/looking_mirror.htm

No newer one, sorry.