[Tango-L] Melina & Detlef

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Thu Sep 6 01:13:49 EDT 2007

 Pretty much everybody seems to have attacked Janis on this subject. But the fact is, she's
 absolutely, 100% correct. Argentineans are the very best dancers of Tango and the best way to
 learn is to learn from the best. Isn't that obvious? Unfortunately, we all have limited time and
 money and we have to use each as wisely as possible.

 If you're totally committed to Tango, you'll do as Janis and others have done, and go to live in
 Buenos Aires. If you're slightly less committed, you'll just spend as much time as you possibly
 can in Buenos Aires. If you're even less committed, you'll settle for learning from local and
 visiting teachers, whoever they might be. But let's not delude ourselves and imagine that any
 non-Argentine, including Melina and Detlef, are as good as the best of the Argentines. Quite
 simply, they're not.

 And Dani, no one has ever said that Argentines are the ONLY good teachers/dancers - just that the
 best teachers/dancers are Argentines. There's a big difference. In fact, even Janis, in her post,
 said that Americans could learn from American teachers - so she asked .. why import Germans? On
 that I have already disagreed with Janis. In the absence of Argentines - importing European
 teachers might make good sense.

 Keith, HK

On Thu Sep  6  1:55 , Club~Tango*La Dolce Vita~  sent:

>Tango is best learned from whoever is judged to be a good teacher (and dancer) on *merit*... NOT on nationality!
>
>A boxing trainer/coach can raise a boxer to world class level ...IF that coach is a good trainer and knows his stuff! How many
boxing coaches have groomed world champions without ever having been in the ring themselves?!