[Tango-L] german tango, an Argentine Opinion

Maria Olivera ma_olivera at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Sep 4 21:34:28 EDT 2007

Hello everybody, I'm re-sending this e-mail I sent yesterday and reached its
destination.

It's my first time writing here, though I regularly read your threads.

I'm an Argentine dancer and teacher, and I definetly agree with many of you
concerning foreing teachers.
Many, many years ago, when Tango was concidered to be some kind of disease
in Buenos Aires society, it was its success in Europe what make it possible
for our culture to survive.

Nowadays, -and I really feel sorry to say this, but it is the truth- to be
born in Argentina doesn't mean to be a good dancer, and of course, doesn't
mean to be a good teacher.  Further more, there are hundreds of teachers
born in Buenos Aires that travell all around the world showing their
students some Tango-related movements, dancing to some Tango-related
orchestras that have nothing to do with our culture and our history.

I myself had the opportunity of meeting Melina & Detlef, I saw their
teaching, I saw them dancing at Bs. As. Milongas, and I had the pleasure to
dance with both of them (Melina is also an excellent leader). I would like
those who don't know them, to be opened and meet them first and then decide
if they deserve or not to be there.

When you see them dancing in B.A. you can never imagine they are germans.
(They performed here in several Milongas and everybody was saying the same).
Their teaching method is absolutely professional, and most of all, they are
determined to defend our real music and the real essence of our dance, the
embrace. So I think they are qualified enough to show their knowledge
wherever they go.

Best wishes,

Maria Olivera
www.tangosalon.com.ar