[Tango-L] Masters of tango as a social dance

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Wed Sep 5 00:54:51 EDT 2007

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 01:50:33 EDT
From: Mrizik at aol.com
Subject: [Tango-A] World-renowned maestros in Eugene, Oregon

WORLD-RENOWNED  MAESTROS, PERFORMERS & CHOREOGRAPHERS
MARIA & CARLOS RIVAROLA
On their  world tour In Eugene, Oregon
SEPTEMBER  26 - OCTOBER 3, 2007
All in one package:
1.  Masters of tango as a social dance.
2.  Information and teaching from maestros of maestros.
3.  Indisputable experience: more than 60 years combined
between the two of  them.
4.  History: Cast members of Tango Argentino, the show
that brought tango dancing  to the international community.
5.  Choreographers & Dancers of the movie Tango, by Carlos Saura
(Academy nominee) Naked Tango, and Tango Bar>>>

Here we go again.  More big hype to get people to sign up with the stars of
tango.

Yes, they were members of Tango Argentino in New York City in 1986, along
with Gloria and Eduardo Arquimbau, Hector Mayoral and Elsa Maria, Juan
Carlos Copes and Maria Nieves, Elvira and Virulazo, Nelida and Nelson Avila,
Rodolfo and Gloria Dinzel.  Each danced their own choreographies in the
show.

Yes, they teach classes at Escuela Argentina de Tango at Centro Cultural
Borges.

Yes, they were choreographers and dancers in Tango by Saura.

But masters of tango as a social dance?  They never dance in the milongas.
They are ex-stage performers who teach.  They have been on the judging panel
of the campeonatos.  They dance exhibitions.

A friend of mine had a private lesson with Carlos Rivarola about six years
ago.  She paid him $100 for the hour.  I asked her what she got for the
money.  She couldn't tell me.  I asked her why she would study with someone
who never dances in the milongas.  I thought she wanted to improve her
social dancing.

Sixty years experience in what?  Ricardo Suarez has danced 65 continuous
years in the milongas.

If you are interested in becoming a better social dancer, I suggest you
find other teachers.  They have no experience in the milongas of Buenos
Aires.  They have name recognition for being in a show that toured the
world.