[Tango-L] Germans teaching Argentine tango in the USA

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 19:17:16 EDT 2007

If you want to learn to dance like the milongueros, probably the best thing
to do is to go to Buenos Aires, spend a lot of time (several months, maybe
more) going to the milongas and observing the best dancers (assuming you can
identify them). If you're really serious about this, you might considering
moving there.

If you are fortunate, some of the milongueros will share some of their
knowledge with you. A small number of them teach, rarely as a regular thing.

And, oh yes, it would be very helpful to become fluent in Spanish before
doing this.

The next best thing would be to bring the milongueros to the US to teach.
However, there are several obstacles to this:
- Some are too old or not healthy enough to travel.
- It is difficult to get a work visa. (This is something Dept. Homeland
Security decides, not tango consumers.)
- If somehow a work visa can be obtained, the milonguero as instructor has a
number of obstacles to overcome in teaching: language differences, teaching
effectiveness. Some may be able to overcome this, and some may not be
capable of communicating their knowledge to tango dancers. Yes, the
milongueros epitomize social tango, but are they likely to be the most
influential in communicating the essence of social tango to students? Maybe;
maybe not.

The reason there are Americans and Europeans teaching social tango is
because the demand is higher than the supply of instructors. We'd all love
to have more good Argentine tango instructors who teach social tango, but
they are few and far between. With few exceptions, American and European
instructors of social tango have been to Buenos Aires, spent a significant
amount of time at milongas, and studied with Argentine instructors teaching
social tango. While they don't have the tango knowledge of the milongueros,
they are effective in recruiting and training people to study tango as a
social dance. Many of these people can adapt to the milongas in Buenos
Aires, given the opportunity. For most of these instructors, it is a labor
of love, because it is unusual to be able to make a living teaching tango.

If one cannot travel to Buenos Aires and one wishes to study only with
instructors who are Argentine, be careful in purchasing your product. Most
Argentines teaching in the US and Europe do not teach social tango, at least
as it is danced in Buenos Aires. The overwhelming majority of Argentine
tango instructors in the US amd Europe teach a form of tango that was
developed for the stage in Argentina. You won't be out of place if you apply
what you learn at milongas in the US and Europe; however, recognize that
this is not the tango Argentines dance at the milongas. The traveling
American and European tango instructors are more likely to teach that.

Ron