[Tango-L] Germans teaching Argentine tango in the USA

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Sep 3 15:11:40 EDT 2007

Now a more seriious reply.

First, tango is not lucrative for the organizers. It is a mistake to
think that people do it for the money.  I can come up with at least
2-3 ways, without thinking about it too hard, how to make more money
faster and with less headache.

People have to love tango to try to organize anything.

Over the last decade, in the U.S., certain cities have developed
communities that are large enough to support the costs of bringing
well-known Argentine dancers/teachers.  As the schedules of these
teachers became quite full, the number of the cities on one continent
that they could fit into their schedule often shrunk dramatically
because their tours became global - they often teach in the US,
Europe and Asia - all on one tour.  In addition to that, many have
standing annual commitments, such as established festivals.

There are little budding tango communities in the US with the numbers
of dancers whose attendance would not be able to support big
events.  These communities need teachers and would host those who
would be willing to travel there because these cities are often not
on the established circuit of the well-known teachers (who tend to
return to their established locations).

A big factor is how far in advance you have to book the teachers when
you are organizing their event.  If they are booking a year and a
half in advance, then you have to be in a position to make that
commitment.  Teachers who are willing to travel on a shorter notice
often become more accessible.

I think it is a mistake to look at the origin of teachers instead of
looking at them first as dancers, and, second, as people who may
actually have something to offer.

Milton Myers of the Ailey company once said in a master class that he
was teaching that every teacher has some gem to offer.  Some teachers
have many gems, while others have only one or two.  And they all
spill those gems in front of the students in class.  Those students
who grab all the gems that they see, become richer (and can make
better jewelry from their gems) than those who stand around waiting
for the teachers with lots of gems, while ignoring those who only
have one or two.

So the question is not who is teaching.  The question is - who is learning?

Warmest regards,

NIna