[Tango-L] Skilled women [was: buenos aires milongas]

Jeff Gaynor jjg at jqhome.net
Thu Oct 11 10:05:39 EDT 2007

Keith wrote:
> Just what skills are you talking about Jeff? When you say ... "leading much
> of anything is lost on them", it sounds like you're talking about figures.
> In BsAs, pretty much all anybody dances in the milongas is Walking, Ochos
> and Giros. It's all about improvising to the music Jeff, not the figures.

I actually don't really know many figures at all. I am referring to attempting
to get, e.g., a clockwise turn that the woman doesn't automatically resolve
into an ocho. Heck last week I had one so bad I actually tried letting go of
her in the middle of it and she *still* did a solo ocho. I could have been
across the room for all I could influence her.

How do you politely indicate to
someone like that they need to actually pay attention to the lead for a
change? Women talk about a man's delicate ego but forget they have one too.
I see tango as an interaction: I offer something and then follow how she resolves it.
If there are only a couple of resolutions women seem to know or at least bother practicing
up to any level of fluency, what to do?  I'm starting to think like Manuel and just avoid
certain women on the floor.

Jeff G