[Tango-L] retaining men in urbana

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Tue Oct 9 08:46:00 EDT 2007

Ron wrote:

> Now we mix more experienced men and women in our beginner classes. Our
> rentention rate for women has improved substantially ... The women
> love dancing with the experienced men. The experienced men
> are attracting more women to higher level classes and milongas.

We see the same benefits around here.

Though segregated beginners classes still predominate. Most instructors
are not comfortable having people who can dance in their beginners' class,
finding beginners get confused by the contradictions of what's learned by
demonstration/instruction v. what's learned by dancing. Or, as one
instructor explained to me, it "undermines the teacher's authority".

Of Ron's:

Joe (tango instructor, Regent Ballroom) wrote:

> I guess if a dance teacher doesn't pigeon-hole himself with a label,
> other people will do it for him

You've lost me there, Joe. Where in your quote does Ron label you or any
other dance teacher?

--
Chris