[Tango-L] Tango Retention

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 09:54:55 EDT 2007

I have also observed that women tend to be attracted more to instructors
that teach figures and men flourish in a teaching environment that
emphasizes simple vocabulary and musicality. However, age is also an
important factor here. Young men (20s) generally prefer figures, with a
premium placed on flashiness. They can be uninhibited in performing these
figures poorly (off balance,  poor partner connection, off music).  By the
time men have reached their 40s the balance tips in favor of fewer steps,
better technique, better connection with partner and the music. My
observation is that women tend to outgrow the fascination with figures at a
older age than men. As women mature, they also appreciate tango more for its
richness in musicality and depth of partner connection. Of course,
individuals differ, to some degree based on their cultural background (I
have found that Latin Americans, in particular, tend to develop an
appreciation for musicality and partner connection at an earlier age.)

As far as retention goes, there is no one formula for success. The
population you are teaching is inherently heterogeneous. As an instructor,
you need to believe in what you are doing in training students. Emphasizing
musicality, partner connection and navigation as the core of tango can
hardly be criticized as a valid method of producing good dancers, men and
women, young and old. As an instructor you need to make a choice whether
quantity or quality is more important in adding new dancers to a community.

Ron