[Tango-L] Igor's Question: a woman's perspective

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Oct 2 13:33:11 EDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 10:34 AM, Darlene Robertson wrote:

> Hello All,
>   I have over many years invited, coerced and bribed (with the
> promise of a date, if you will, for some fellow that actually
> learned tango) many men to visit our community with the goal of
> adding them to the Argentine Tango herd.  I have grabbed them from
> West Coast Swing, East Coast Swing, Country/Western and my former
> boyfriend (before Tango became my "boyfriend"), Salsa.  I've given
> free lessons, cheap lessons and encouraged them to go someplace
> else for group or private lessons, etc.
>
>   They're consensus?  Gosh, I hope you're sitting down.  They
> didn't like the music.
>
>   Okay, there, I've said it.  Please don't get all your
> tailfeathers ruffled over yet another discussion about
> "traditional, alternative, neo, nuevo," etc. on me.  This isn't
> about that well-worn topic.  Of the 40 or so men, NONE liked the
> music.  They danced the other stuff because it was what they could
> hear a beat to, or dance to without thinking or whatever.  What
> does that tell me?  These guys dance to get laid.  The go to hold
> women.  They're doing the same thing many of us single people are
> doing: they're looking for love.  My fault that I didn't find a
> "dancer" amongst them -- I just didn't get that right!
>
>   Abrazos,
>
>   Darlene

Thanks for this Darlene,

I liked all your comments, but in particular you make an important
point that so many men DON'T LIKE THE MUSIC (at first, I presume).
This is strongly related to the other two points: LACK OF CONFIDENCE
and RETENTION OF GUYS.

I define advanced tango as "simple things done well", but that is
also a definition of confident tango.

We've been throwing around the terms feminine and masculine, and
those are useful but loaded terms. A more specific and easier to
address issue is to address CONFIDENCE or lack thereof. Yes, tango
requires masculine guys, but at the basic level it isn't that these
guys aren't masculine. They feel tentative because they aren't
confident. Tango requires (the follower requires), that the man
proposes an idea, a step a sequence of steps or whatever. This is
daunting for the men at first, and the crux of the problem is
confidence vs uncertainty.

I've taught for ten years, which is important because I've tried and
abandoned many things with a specific goal of creating better
retention of the men. Women are important, but they have more
patience, can learn quickly in privates, and in general have an
easier time with tangoat the beginning. Retain the men, and we'll
retain the women.

In my experience, the single most important driver for retaining the
guys is whether they feel confident. Secondly, the foundation for
confidence is understanding the music. You can draw a big fat arrow:

MUSICALITY => CONFIDENCE => RETENTION => HAPPY WOMEN.

Teaching Musicality.

So, when I teach I am highly focused on showing the men where the
beat is and where the musical phrasing is. Change the music, repeat
and rinse. It takes repetition and time, as this is a strange foreign
genre to most. Basically, if they don't know the music, then they
have to be shown exactly where it is, and how to make their movements
relate to it.

Musicality is when your energy matches the musical energy, the surge
at the beginning of the phrase, the suspension at the end, the flow
and "wave" of the waltz, the staccatto of D'Arienzo, the walk of Di
Sarli, the drama of Pugliese.

Confidence is when you just know what to do in your bones.

I'm sometimes accused of "just teaching walking" because I present
tango steps or vocabulary more slowly than some teachers, but that is
a misunderstanding because I'm teaching a MUSICAL way of walking,
which some might call dancing.

It is no wonder that some dancers like alternative music because they
can hear it, move to it be inspired by it. Watch a North American
dance to blues or R&B. That is the "music of our people"; it makes
sense to us, we can just feel what to do. In fact I use alternative
precisely for this quality of creating confidence... "Hmmm, I guess I
CAN dance".

Teaching steps.

Steps? Steps don't equal tango; steps are just the things you do once
you know tango. This is perhaps why in Argentina you can start with
the steps. Culturally, they already know tango, what is sounds like,
looks like, feels like, so they just need to know what to do.

I know, you have teachers who present lots and lots of steps. This is
so typical of new teachers and Intermediate dancers. Let me show you!
This is an ocho, this is a volcada, this is a shoe shine, this is a
whoop-de-do. They are teaching at the level they are learning, not
the level where a beginner is learning.

Teaching lots of steps keeps the guys in a constant state of un-
confidence and un-ability. It is deceptive, perhaps. They feel like
they are learning, and maybe they keep taking classes always seeking
the answer. But what is the question? CONFIDENCE, not stuff. These
guys end up long-term intermediates randomly zig-zagging around the
middle of the floor. I've tried to teach some of the musicality, and
they just don't get it because their brain is so full of stuff, that
they can't comprehend the essence.

Look at milongas or practicas in communities dominated by fancy tango
(nuevo, fantasy, neo, non). You have lots of women, and not so many men.

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org
Denver, CO