[Tango-L] Contemporary classical tango orchestras, interpretations, recordings, compositions

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:06:35 EDT 2007

Hi Konstantin,

You've
done a good job of listing so many good contemporary tango orchestras.
Thanks for your good work, I'm going to use your list to do more
research of good, danceable tango music of higher sound quality.
However, I will say that too many of these orchestras are emulating the
later Pugliese orchestra or perform Piazzolla style compositions.
Generally, the contemporary tango orchestras tend to play in the late
50's or later styles of tango which came after the tango dance fell
from it's apogee.

I do not mean to say that Pugliese is not
danceable, or that all the late 50's and later music is unsuitable for
dancing. But in reality, I rarely if ever have heard tango played in
the style of the '30s, '40s or early '50s. That's entirely too bad
because that's exactly the absolutely best tango music for dancing in a
rhythmic, compact manner. For me the music from the Pugliese orchestra
and others like it is like a dessert. I would not go to a restaurant
and order an 8 course meal consisting of Tiramisu, chocolate mousse,
keylime pie, peach melba, apple pie, blueberry cobbler, napoleons and
cookies..... That's exactly the feeling I get when a DJ plays nothing
but music like that...

I've actually sat (not danced, mind
you) through hours of Pugliese, Piazzolla, late Darienzo, late
D'Agostino, late Troilo, Basso, Sexteto Mayor and the like with
occasional looong tandas of Gotan, Bajofondo, Tangophobia, Tangheto,
Libedinsky or other forms of neo-tango-like music...... Again, I don't
mean to sound like some hide bound tango taleban, but in reality I
prefer the more authentic stuff of the 30's, 40's and 50's. There is
nothing intrinsically wrong with the other stuff. There is no question
of the artistic ability of the musicians and the sound quality is much better than the old stuff. Actually, I do from time to
time enjoy dancing tango-like to some non tango music, but I do wish
that more orchestras played arrangements more like the old orchestras I
like so much.

Cheers,

Manuel

www.tango-rio.com