[Tango-L] Contemporary classical tango orchestras, interpretations, recordings, compositions

Konstantin Zahariev anfractuoso at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 00:44:15 EDT 2007

A clarification and a correction:

I forgot to say to ignore the Piazzolla-like stuff listed below when
looking for something for dancing, and especially the 3-3-2 musical
forms (based on the rural milonga, not the post-1930 city milonga form
- just noticed some of the linked video is like that). Piazzolla
dancers, on the other hand, please forgive this clarification -
preferences vary.

Also, I probably should have said "A _lot_ of these are danceable",
instead of "_most_".

BTW, the 3-3-2 form is also one of the ones Krasimir showed as an
undanceable example. It is not easy to dance classical tango to it on
the most basic level - uneven rhythmic divisions. It is not even good
for a Bulgarian rachenitsa dance (which is typically in 3-2-2 instead)
:-)

Lastly, I am probably being inclusive with having Piazzolla streams
within what I term classical tango (i.e. all that is not labelled
fusion, alternative, neotango, non-tango) since one can argue his
stuff could be labelled tango-classical or tango-jazz fusion. But I
don't want to get into arguments about that at the moment as it is not
important relative to the bulk of the material presented.

With best regards,

Konstantin
Victoria, Canada

[...]