[Tango-L] Communication

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Fri Nov 30 01:37:13 EST 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:28:25 -0800, you wrote:

>In Doug’s post he commented about being a “beginning Tango dancer”
>and indicated that  “I don't contribute to list.  It does not feel
>safe to do so.” A number of people then encouraged him to submit
>postings.
>I can understand his hesitation because, based on my own experience,
>some of these same people responded very negatively when I first
>joined Tango-l, and submitted a posting comparing learning Tango to
>learning a language.

When I first posted to this list 10 years ago, I dealt with some big
time flames myself. But I sort of enjoyed them, you know?   :o)    I
took it then, and still do, as the reason Tango was and is Tango...
Along with being the best way to bring on a steeper learning curve.

But..,  while 'wrong' is 'wrong'..., and some would kill you because
you are (to them)...  <g>, the biggest problem I see is that people
forget to allow for that good old 'widest possible lattitude' caveat
from the seemingly long gone netiquette.., before responding as they
do. They read it the way they want.., or are *able*.., not the way it
was meant, or even said.

As for that written below, I consider Tango the equivalent to learning
to play a musical instrument, or as was said, to learning another
language...  I consider Tango to be another item in one's resume of
social graces.

I also consider the 'leader' the Maestro and the 'follower' the Strad.
There are many nice analogies one can subscribe to, and there will be
some who will say they mean the opposite to them..., but that's ok
too.   But trying to tie Tango, or even Tango-L to 'dancing' per se?
It would be a major sin and catastrophe.   The concept in any form
makes me shudder.

The principal you espouse is 'cooperation' and mutual respect.  That
is already Tango.   We might, at the very least, say that we should
relate Tango-L a little more to Tango?   But then again, perhaps Tango
can only be nice when a couple is on the floor and actually doing it?
Perhaps it is as I thought from the beginning?  That it takes the
vitriol and venom to make it what it is then.

Floyd