[Tango-L] Volcado demo and questions

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Tue Nov 20 20:24:00 EST 2007

Sherwin,

I assume it is a volcada, I can't see the link for the moment. If it is then it's definitely led. I am not a teacher but this is how I do it. You need to move the follower's axis directly over the foot on which she has her weight so that you can feel the other foot is just off the ground. Then if you step away she has no choice but to lean - nothing else she can do. She needs to know to keep her back straight, but that is all. I find it is easiest to do this if you take a side step around the follower first in the same direction as the foot on which she has her weight forcing her to pivot on that foot. You don't have to do that, but I find this the easiest way to get a follower unequivocally onto one foot otherwise it is not a very easy lead and open to a lot of interpretation.

Start with simple small volcadas, which are the nicest ones anyway, and work your way up from there. Remember those big ones (and sweeping ones) put an enormous strain on the follower's back, so don't hold them too far out or in the hanging position too long. In fact, personally I don't do the big ones at all because they would require weeks of practice to perfect and there are so many other things that are more important that I need to put my time into. I guess I will get to them once I have mastered every conceivable way you can ocho and turn, so that should be in about ten years time ;-).

Victor Bennetts